Webster's Definition: Whimsical: playfully quaint or fanciful, especially in an appealing and amusing way. The picture next to this definition in the dictionary should be of Kelley Dean, my mother and the proud grandmother of eight who all call her Coco. Coco has never been a traditionalist nor has she ever cared for being conventional. She is all things whimsical- including her holiday decoration. My mom was like the indoor version of Clark from National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation. She would take traditional red and green and add lime green and hot pink to it for a wild, funky, fun look. She was my inspiration for creating unorthodox Christmas tree curations. To get a taste of what I mean, just keep scrolling.
This is one of my favorites that I decorated for my little sister at her home in Tulsa. I love how unique it turned out with the huge peppermints- that Candy Land meets sparkles vibe is on point this season!
Mr. Clause is this inspiration for this pink and red whimsical Christmas tree. The red and pink velvet ribbon covers the tree. We added the gift box ornaments and snowballs to give it a more playful look. The large velvet bow topped it off.
If whimsical was a celebrity, it would be this one. This tree was created so that the more you look the more a story unravels. The vinyl, velvet, and embroidered ribbon mixture gives this funky tree a base that doesn't make you feel stuck. Adding velvet bows and ornaments that help tell the story. Its an "all inclusive" tree.
Black and White Stripes in the sprigs, ribbon, ornaments and the tree skirt all in one spot! Adding pink velvet ribbon, silver sprigs and a few blue hollies and you have yourself a one of a kind whimsical masterpiece.
Angela, one of our Merrymakers, created this for the foyer area. She took nutcracker ribbon, added large nutcracker ornaments, and the drummer skirt to complete the tree. We also love how the whimsical tree compliments the winter record covers decorating the wall. Angela is an absolute artist during the holidays!
This whimsical gingerbread creation was a blast to create. We did an accordion fold with the ribbon and it ended up looking like Christmas candy. The gingerbread men dance around the tree. We used about 25 sprigs to create a topper that complimented the red and white striped bow. This is the kind of tree that needs marshmallow sprigs!
Five Easy Ways to Elevate Your Tree to a Whimsical Level
1. BLACK and WHITE: A quick way to bring a more fun look to your decoration is by adding black and white. Whether that is through ribbon, sprigs or ornaments, try adding them in to your traditional decor.
2. GLITTER SPRIGS: Try creating a topper with sprigs. Taking three or four different types of sprigs and putting them at the top of a tree is an easy way to create an over the top whimsical look.
3. LARGE glittered ornament balls. They pack a punch and give depth to your whimsical Christmas tree.
4. COLOR: Just do it, add lime green or bright pink to your classic decoration. Go slow at first and I promise you will be hooked to mixing looks.
5. FLOCKED: If you don't have a flocked tree add white branches or branches that have snow on them. Bright colors pop behind a white greenery.
We would love to see your creations or hear how you make a whimsical look during the holidays! Drop a comment!